I may be wrong in some of the following – if so, please feel free to correct it. I don’t use ESRI products.

But I think that there are several people with misapprehensions about the ESRI Geodatabase containers. Recent posts about a rejuvenated “Feature Wish List” for MapInfo Professional have elicited these misleading ideas.

Richard Greenwood:

> ESRI's personal geodatabase format is not exactly 'new',

> it is actually being phased out, starting in 9.2

> with a new file-based format.

I don't think this is correct. The draft online ArcGIS 9.2 Desktop Help is a good place to check this out – I would recommend that those who are even vaguely interested start with “An overview of the geodatabase” – last modified 6 October 2006.

An ArcGIS geodatabase is a collection of geographic datasets of various types held in a common file system folder, a Microsoft Access database, or a multi-user relational database (such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, or IBM DB2).

Also, this section describes the types or variants of geodatabase:

The geodatabase is a "container" used to hold a collection of datasets. There are three types:

1.       File Geodatabases—Stored as folders in a file system. Each dataset is held as a file that can scale up to 1 TB in size. This option is recommended over personal geodatabases.

2.       Personal Geodatabases—All datasets are stored within a Microsoft Access data file, which is limited in size to 2 GB.

3.       ArcSDE Geodatabases—Stored in a relational database using Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, or IBM Informix. These multiuser geodatabases require the use of ArcSDE and can be unlimited in size and numbers of users.

I would be VERY surprised if ESRI is contemplating a change to the overall schema which defines all of these.

The XML Schema document for the ESRI Geodatabase was published some time ago (2001 ? I think) and AFAIK has been the basis of all of the “variants” described in a fair amount of detail, in the online Help that I have referred to above.

In my view, it is an excellent and innovative design.

It should also be noted that “industry” geodatabases (of any of the 3 types or variants) may be defined, all of which can conform to the underlying schema but which may encompass unlimited (I believe) variation in detail. So, one geological geodatabase may be designed for (say) mineral (gold, base metal, etc) exploration, another for oil & gas, another for iron ore, another for geochronology or for university research – and the XML Schema and the package (the 3 variants described above) cater for these wide variations in detailed database schemas.

> The personal geodatabase (not to be confused with SDE)

> is built on the Microsoft Access MDB format.

That IS true.

> ERSI is moving toward a new, proprietary, file-based personal

> geodatabase format.

ESRI uses the same XML Schema for all forms of the GeoDatabase – see above.

Chuck Lockwood and others mention the (MI) Universal Translator, and Safe's FME product line. As I read the Versions & Formats tables at Safe Software, in order to read and create the various versions of the ESRI Geodatabase the various versions of FME indeed DO require the corresponding ESRI products to be installed.

That is because (as far as I can tell, from reading the ESRI online manual for ArcGIS 9.2 Desktop Help fairly carefully) there are a lot more things (technical term) stored within the geodatabase (whichever 'version') than just the geometry (eg, SHP files or whatever), projections, datums, symbology, raster data sets, etc - there is also the possibility of storing code and rules, and topology. It may well be possible for FWTools (or some other gadget) to extract the former list of components, but to assemble them into an ESRI “map” or other rendition (eg, a surface) might require the code and the rules to operate (I’m being rather vague about this).

IL Thomas

GeoSciSoft - Perth, Australia