I've created a Vagrant setup that performs all the necessary
installation steps within a virtual machine to get MapOSMatic
up and running from an OSM extract in PBF format:

  https://github.com/hholzgra/maposmatic-vagrant

Takes a little while to start up the first time (an hour or two
at least when started for the first time, depending on your
machines CPU power, the speed of your internet connection,
and the size of the OSM extract you want to import), but
after that you can have your own local instance.

It also uses the current OSM default style and most of the
improvements I submitted pull requests for on GitHub recently,
e.g. adding an overlay on top of the base map, and having a
compass rose ...

PS: if you want to produce maps for places in
    Germany you can also use my test instance on
    http://maposmatic.osm-baustelle.de/ ...

--
hartmut