An incompatible APIs change is developer unfriendly. An incompatible behavioral
change is operator unfriendly. Historically, one dimension of incompatibility
has had a lot more mindshare than the other. It's great that this might be
changing for the better.

Where I work when we move from one Hadoop 2.x minor to another we always spend
time updating our deployment plans, alerting, log scraping, and related things
due to changes. Some are debatable as if qualifying for the 'incompatible'
designation. I think the audit logging change that triggered this discussion is
a good example of one that does. If you want to audit HDFS actions those log
emissions are your API. (Inotify doesn't offer access control events.) One has
to code regular expressions for parsing them and reverse engineer under what
circumstances an audit line is emitted so you can make assumptions about what
transpired. Change either and you might break someone's automation for meeting
industry or legal compliance obligations. Not a trivial matter. If you don't
operate Hadoop in production you might not realize the implications of such a
change. Glad to see Hadoop has community diversity to recognize it in some
cases.