This discussion was split into two separate topics.

1) Remove line length checkstyle rule for package line
2) Remove line length checkstyle rule for the entire source code

1) I'm +1 for removing the rule for package line. I can provide a trivial patch shortly in HADOOP-13603.

2) As Andrew said, the discussion was done in 2015. If we really want to change the rule, we need to discuss again.

Regards,
Akira