Thanks Brahma for comment on this thread. To be clear, I always update branch
version just before RC kicking off.

For 2.8.2 release, I don't have plan to involve big top or other third-party
test tools. As always, we will rely on test/verify efforts from community
especially from large deployed production cluster - as far as I know,  there
are already several companies. like: Yahoo!, Alibaba, etc. already deploy 2.8
release in large production clusters for months which give me more confidence
on 2.8.2.

Here is more update on 2.8.2 release:

Blocker issues:

    -  A new blocker YARN-7076 get reported and fixed by Jian He through last
weekend.

    -  Another new blocker - HADOOP-14814 get identified from my latest jdiff
run against 2.7.4. The simple fix on an incompatible API change should get
commit soon.

Critical issues:

    -  YARN-7083 already get committed. Thanks Jason for reporting the issue
and delivering the fix.

    -  YARN-6091 get push out from 2.8.2 as issue is not a regression and
pending for a while.

    -  Daryn is actively working on HADOOP-9747 for a while, and the patch are
getting close to be committed. However, according to Daryn, the patch seems to
cause some regression in some corner cases in secured environment (Storm auto
tgt, etc.). May need some additional watch/review on this JIRA's fixes.

My monitoring JACC report between 2.8.2 and 2.7.4 will get finish tomorrow. If
everything is going smoothly, I am planning to kick off RC0 around holiday
(this weekend).

Thanks,

​Junping