On 7 Sep 2017, at 19:13, Daniel Templeton
<dan...@cloudera.com<mailto:dan...@cloudera.com>> wrote:

Good point.  I think it would be valuable to enumerate the policies around the
versioned state stores.  We have the three you listed. We should probably
include the HDFS fsimage in that list.  Any others?

S3Guard now stores state in DDB. we do have a version marker & A policy written
down of how upgrades are done

https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-tools/hadoop-aws/src/site/markdown/tools/hadoop-aws/s3guard.md

I also want to add a section that clarifies when it's OK to change the
visibility or audience of an API.

Daniel