> On Oct 23, 2017, at 12:50 PM, Allen Wittenauer <a...@effectivemachines.com>
> wrote:
>

> With no other information or access to go on, my current hunch is that one of
> the HDFS unit tests is ballooning in memory size.  The easiest way to kill a
> Linux machine is to eat all of the RAM, thanks to overcommit and that’s what
> this “feels” like.
>
> Someone should verify if 2.8.2 has the same issues before a release goes out …

        FWIW, I ran 2.8.2 last night and it has the same problems.

        Also: the node didn’t die!  Looking through the workspace (so the next
run will destroy them), two sets of logs stand out:

https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt-branch2-java7-linux-x86/ws/out/patch-unit-hadoop-hdfs-project_hadoop-hdfs.txt

                                                        and

https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt-branch2-java7-linux-x86/ws/sourcedir/hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/

        It looks like my hunch is correct:  RAM in the HDFS unit tests are
going through the roof.  It’s also interesting how MANY log files there are.
Is surefire not picking up that jobs are dying?  Maybe not if memory is getting
tight.

        Anyway, at the point, branch-2.8 and higher are probably fubar’d.
Additionally, I’ve filed YETUS-561 so that Yetus-controlled Docker containers
can have their RAM limits set in order to prevent more nodes going catatonic.