Hi folks!

Which release lines do we as a community still consider actively maintained?

I found an earlier discussion[1] where we had consensus to consider branches
that don’t get maintenance releases on a regular basis end-of-life for
practical purposes. The result of that discussion was written up in our wiki
docs in the “EOL Release Branches” page, summarized here

>  If no volunteer to do a maintenance release in a short to mid-term (like 3
> months to 1 or 1.5 year).

Looking at release lines that are still on our download page[3]:

* Hadoop 2.10.z - last release 8 months ago
* Hadoop 3.1.z - last release 9.5 months ago
* Hadoop 3.2.z - last release 4.5 months ago
* Hadoop 3.3.z - last release 10 months ago

And then trunk holds 3.4 which hasn’t had a release since the branch-3.3 fork
~14 months ago.

I can see that Wei-Chiu has been actively working on getting the 3.3.1 release
out[4] (thanks Wei-Chiu!) but I do not see anything similar for the other
release lines.

We also have pages on the wiki for our project roadmap of release[5], but it
seems out of date since it lists in progress releases that have happened or
branches we have announced as end of life, i.e. 2.8.

We also have a group of pages (sorry, I’m not sure what the confluence jargon
is for this) for “hadoop active release lines”[6] but this list has 2.8, 2.9,
3.0, 3.1, and 3.3. So several declared end of life lines and no 2.10 or 3.2
despite those being our release lines with the most recent releases.

Are there folks willing to go through being release managers to get more of
these release lines on a steady cadence?

If I were to take up maintenance release for one of them which should it be?

Should we declare to our downstream users that some of these lines aren’t going
to get more releases?

Is there downstream facing documentation somewhere that I missed for setting
expectations about our release cadence and actively maintained branches?

Do we have a backlog of work written up that could make the release process
easier for our release managers?

[1]: https://s.apache.org/7c8jt
[2]: https://s.apache.org/4no96
[3]: https://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html