Hi all,
first of all I regret very much that I won't be able to make it to the
Zurich Hackathon, but Idaho, USA is a bit too far and I have just
switched to a new job.
Anyhow, I'd just like to chime in and support what Derk-Jan said
above. Even though the WikiMiniAtlas, a dynamic map, is my project I
think it is very important to recognize the way maps are used in
Wikipedia by our contributors. While this crowd is probably rather
interested in the technical side of dynamic maps, mapping in Wikipedia
is very much an 'editorial' process. Dynamic maps are nice to provide
a quick geographical context and show nearby points of interest, but I
seriously doubt they will replace the types of maps we have in
articles today (with a few exceptions maybe). We have political maps
on many administrative levels, we have maps of biomes and species
distributions, geographical and geological maps (e.g. watershed maps),
climate maps, historical maps of battles and population migrations,
animated maps showing the evolution of empires, extraterrestrial maps,
and so on and so forth.
Don't get me wrong OSM data is awesome, and very rich, and it is a
fascinating and fun work to integrate as much of it into Wikipedia as
possible. But we have to keep in mind that OSM offers only a limited
scope in the vast array of map applications. And while simplification
and automation sounds appealing to us, what the mapping community will
see is most likely a loss of editorial power compared to custom maps.
Best,
Daniel