I'm starting to think that just handling this with a mapscript wrapper script might be the easiest approach. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Percy

percy wrote:
thanks, nice idea. I tried it, and that did not work...

relevant mapfile section:

LAYER
    NAME "Geologic_Map_Of_North_America"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
    data "/vol/www/ngmdb/htdocs/GMNA_INDEX_tiled.tif"
    maxscale 10000000
    MINSCALE 500000
Metadata
"WMS_TITLE" "Geologic Map Of North America"
"WMS_SRS" "epsg:4326"
END # metadata
END #layer
LAYER
    NAME "Geologic_Map_Of_North_America"
    TYPE query
    STATUS On
    data GMNA_S_OneGeo
    TOLERANCE 0
    TOLERANCEUNITS pixels
    TRANSFORM TRUE
    DUMP TRUE
    HEADER "templates/GMNA_query_header.html"
    TEMPLATE "templates/GMNA_query_body.html"
    FOOTER "templates/GMNA_query_footer.html"
Metadata
"WMS_TITLE" "Geologic Map Of North America"
"WMS_SRS" "epsg:4326"
GML_INCLUDE_ITEMS "DisplayNam,OneGeology,Lithologic,GeologicAg,AgeMin,AgeMax,AgeMetadat" WMS_INCLUDE_ITEMS "DisplayNam,OneGeology,Lithologic,GeologicAg,AgeMin,AgeMax,AgeMetadat"
END # metadata
END #layer

Steve Lime wrote:
What about using GROUPs or layers with the same name where the second layer
is TYPE QUERY?

Steve

On 7/10/2008 at 2:14 PM, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, percy