I haven't given any thought to ruby yet, but I can look into it. Which OSX version? I believe Leopard has Ruby, but not Tiger. I would prefer to start with the system Ruby. A possibility that I haven't worked out fully yet is to use my MapServer framework + MapServer source to build just the Ruby MapScript.