Thank you all for your help,

I had the feeling this is how it's done, but I was hoping for a simpler approach.

Anyway, now I must only find some decent colors for my layers :)
Cheers,
Adrian

Paul Spencer wrote:
Adrian,

that is a fairly simple trick, you need to draw roads twice to do it. You can do that with two separate layers or two STYLE objects within a class depending on what effect you want to achieve.

In both cases, you just draw the road 2 pixels wider in your 'outline' color (called a casement). For instance, assuming you are using two STYLE objects:

LAYER
  NAME "Major Roads"
  TYPE LINE
  DATA myroads
  CLASS
    NAME "Major Roads"
    STYLE #Casement style
        SIZE 9
        COLOR 192 192 192
        SYMBOL "circle"
    END
    STYLE #Center style
        SIZE 7
        COLOR 255 255 255
        SYMBOL "circle"
    END
  END
END

You would use two separate layers to draw the casement and center style if you had several layers and/or classes of roads that you wanted to 'merge' the casements - in your google screenshoot, you should notice that the grey casement on Hollywood St merges with the casement on W 8th St and there is no grey line between the two center colors, this would be how to achieve a similar effect in MapServer.

Cheers

Paul