There are two steps to a tilecache...
Step 1: Seeding it.
Step 2: Querying from it.

Metatile usefulness is best seen while seeding the tile cache.  If you look at
the attached graphic (a rough estimation of a 3x3 meta-tile setup) then you'll
see as the tilecache seed iterates through the map, it "oversamples" the map
and uses the "center" image to represent the tile ("A").  When moving onto the
next tile ("B"), it performs the same over-sampling.  Since the map is then
never at the "edge" of the generation you do not see errors with off-map lines
and labelling at the edges.

Now, there two ways to query the tilecache:
1) As a WMS service.  IMO, this is slow you can do as you wish but I've always
thought this to be quite a bit slower than taking the oppurunity to fully seed
a tilecache.  In this scenario if you have a "cache hit" there is no additional
generation costs.  If you have a "cache miss" the generation cost is greater,
but mapserver, PIL, etc., are very efficient at generating images.  The actual
cost of generating a 256x256 image and the cost of geneerating a 768x768 image
is not terribly significant.  Plus, once it has been done for a tile, it never
needs to be done again.

2) As a tilecache, this is where you just serve up the directory as a
TileCache.  This is a lot faster but assumes you have fully seeded your cache.
In this scenario you have no additional generation costs, all of that work has
been done up front.