Robert,

For GetMap, height and width are measured in pixels.

I would like to just point you to
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wms  , but nothing is
particularly easy to glean from the OGC...  Plus, I will have to put in
a request to my Attorney General staff before I can click through the
giant legal agreement required to view the WMS spec.  Seriously, what
the #$%&!

For the map file info, look here:  http://mapserver.org/mapfile/map.html
>From that page:

SIZE [x][y]
Size in pixels of the output image (i.e. the map).

RESOLUTION [int]
Sets the pixels per inch for output, only affects scale computations and
nothing else, default is 72.

I don't believe that SIZE comes into play when you are requesting a
layer as WMS because you are required to specify height and width in
your getMap request.