Can you send along an example mapfile / snippet?

> Looking at the OpenGIS Web Map Server Implementation
> Specification Version 1.3.0 (OGC 06-042) Section 7.2.4.6.8
>
> 'WMS service metadata shall declare one or more bounding
> boxes (as defined in 6.7.4) for each Layer.
> A Bounding Box metadata element may either be stated
> explicitly or may be inherited from a parent Layer....'
>
> and also
>
> 'The <EX_GeographicBoundingBox> element (see 7.2.4.6.6) is
> conceptually similar to a BoundingBox in which
> the attribute CRS="CRS:84" is implicit. However,
> <EX_GeographicBoundingBox> shall not be used as a
> substitute for <BoundingBox CRS="CRS:84">. If the server
> wishes to provide bounding box information in the
> CRS:84 CRS, then a separate BoundingBox element explicitly
> naming CRS:84 shall be included in the service
> metadata.'

Out of interest, can you elaborate on why EX_GeographicBoundingBox is
not suitable, given the implicity of the CRS?

> Though the schema has BoundingBox as optional, it should be
> noted that in case of conflict with the main body of the
> International Standard, the main body takes precedence (as below).

Norm: have you found that any of the OGC CITE WMS 1.3.0 assertions fail
related to this?

> e.g.
> 'E.1 WMS Capabilities XML schema
> This annex contains the XML schema for WMS capabilities
> against which service metadata from a server
> compliant with this International Standard may be validated.
> Comments and documentation elements in the
> schema are informative; in case of conflict with the main
> body of this International Standard, the main body takes
> precedence.'
> <sequence>
> <element ref="wms:Name" minOccurs="0"/>
> <element ref="wms:Title"/>
> <element ref="wms:Abstract" minOccurs="0"/>
> <element ref="wms:KeywordList" minOccurs="0"/>
> <element ref="wms:CRS" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <element ref="wms:EX_GeographicBoundingBox" minOccurs="0"/>
> <element ref="wms:BoundingBox" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <element ref="wms:Dimension" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <element ref="wms:Attribution" minOccurs="0"/>
> <element ref="wms:AuthorityURL" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <element ref="wms:Identifier" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <element ref="wms:MetadataURL" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <element ref="wms:DataURL" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <element ref="wms:FeatureListURL" minOccurs="0"
> maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <element ref="wms:Style" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <element ref="wms:MinScaleDenominator" minOccurs="0"/>
> <element ref="wms:MaxScaleDenominator" minOccurs="0"/>
> <element ref="wms:Layer" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> </sequence>
>
> I'm using MapServer 5.4.0-rc2, but I don't see anything
> mentioning this in the changelog to version 5.4.1 so I assume
> this is a new issue, and another change in behaviour from WMS
> 1.1.1 (OGC 01-068r3  7.1.4.5.7 BoundingBox ~ Layers may have
> zero or more <BoundingBox> elements that are either stated
> explicitly or inherited from a parent Layer).
>
> Do I need to raise a ticket in the issue tracker?

I would like to run this by the wms-dev mailing list for comments first,
and will report back.

You can always write a MapScript WxS wrapper (see
http://www.mapserver.org/ogc/mapscript.html) to create custom
Capabilities XML as per your requirements, as an interim workaround.

Cheers

..Tom