Thanks Stephen and Dan!

@Stephen
The recent Tiger Shapefiles come with .prj files and do have a
projection. Could there be a different issue then?

@Dan
> Regarding #1
> Were all of your shapes in the same projection as the Itasca demo? If not,
> their coordinates may have been far outside of the extents of the map.
Yes, we used the data for Itasca County.

> Regarding #2
> Do you have 300 shapefiles, meaning you have 300 layers you wish to display?
> If so, you might want to take a look at an alternate solution than the Itasca
> demo.  For example (toots own horn) GeoMOOSE is designed to allow multiple
> mapfiles to be used within a single application.   It makes the management of
> the large number of layers much more palatable.  We also have a number of
> users that are at the same level of layer management as you are and could
> give more suggestions on how to best manage that data for use in a Web GIS.

No. We have a few (10-15) layers. However, the shapefiles
corresponding to each layer are different for every county. I shall
also forward my query in the GeoMoose mailing list. Thanks!