Like Bob said, there isn't any creation/management tools.  I've been running a
general philiosophy that, at some points, users will need to hack mapfiles.  In
the downloadable demo, we've been trying to give users enough exmaples to make
it easy to learn and modify to their specific needs.  We also try to provide an
example structure on how to make the management, of even large sites, sane.
And that sanity can be acheived with basic tools instead of needing to
convolute the whole process.

I have been considering writing some code that would:
a) Provide online editing services with a "database" short of needing PostGIS,
like oh, SpatialLite.  Something we could distribute more easily with the
project.
b) Work with Bob (and the team he has) to generalize some of the tools they
have developed, get them working with Spatial/SQLite and try to make them
publically available.
c) Porting the code to Ruby and/or Python.  Ruby is my new favorite language
but Python is more practical for a ton of reasons.  The PHP "works" and is
fairly accessible to novice users but I find the language ugly and more
difficult to maintain than the others.  Of course, PHP seems to be the defacto
language of MS4W ... which is why we've stayed married to it.  I'm probably
more likely to develop more user tools if it's in a language other than PHP.

Of course, any assistance in either man-hours or funding is greatly appreciated
towards any of these ends.