Nikos,

On 31/05/2011, at 12:00 AM, mapserver-users-requ...@lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> I don't know if it is relevant, but I get a no route to host when I test that
> ip via pgadmin, meaning tcp connections will fail, whereas local connections
> should not as they are IPC based. Does postgis use tcp/ip by default for
> connecting?

It will depend on the host based authentication of your postgres instance - if
you do not have an entry for your client machine in the pg_hba.conf file, you
won't be able to connect from pgadmin, or psql.

But you are more likely to have a trust setting for connections from localhost,
so mapserver won't have the same problems.

it isn't set to trust anyone, (which it absolutely shouldn't be), vis :

psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "46.21.168.170" and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

cheers

Ben