DNS issue, should be fixed by Monday...   ; ('

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr. Puneet Kishor [mailto:punk.k...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 10:00 AM
To: Fawcett, David (MPCA)
Cc: mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] MapScript WMS request

David,

On Sep 9, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Fawcett, David (MPCA) wrote:

> Puneet,
>
> Using MapServer CGI and layer.MapServer would not set you up well for other
> client libraries, so I see your point.  It can be viable though.
>
> In this app (just an imagemap, not OL), there are no attribute values
> associated with the spatial data.  The classes are generated on-the-fly and
> the county id's for each class are passed in as URL vars.  Same thing for the
> legend.  This allows flexibility for compounds who's emissions may vary from
> tens of pounds to millions of pounds.
>
> This approach may not work for your case, but it is another way to slice it...

Possibly. See, it is crucially important for me to be able to generate classes
on the fly, and with a lot of flexibility. Not just that, the criteria for
generating the classes can change. So, what I am doing actually is setting up a
separate application that does nothing but respond with class information. The
mapping application (and, any other application, for that matter), would query
this class generating application and make the classes as per the latest
information. Hence, my need for MapScripting. Well, there are other reasons as
well, but this is an important one.

> http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php/topics/environmental-data/eda-environmental-data-access/eda-air-quality-searches/eda-air-quality-search-emissions-by-county-data.html

By the way, the app above is not working. I get broken images, and the
following errors in the web inspector (that might help you troubleshoot)

----
GET http://www.pca.state.mn.us/oea/css/master.css 404 (Not Found)

emissions.cfm:28 ReferenceError: Can't find variable: urchinTracker

GET http://maps.pca.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv? ..snipped.. A server with the
specified hostname could not be found.

GET http://maps.pca.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv? ..snipped.. A server with the
specified hostname could not be found.