Why not a layer with STATUS DEFAULT but a MAXSCALE value that kicks in when
your other data runs out?

From: Donald Kerr [mailto:donald.k...@dkerr.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:07 PM
To: Lime, Steve D (DNR); 'MAPSERVER USERS'
Subject: RE: [mapserver-users] Map Not Available at This Scale Image

Steve,

I don't think that any of those options will work for me. I have fifteen zoom
levels and the map coverage is complete except for three. Those three are a
made up of an image returned after querying PostGIS so a blank image is
effectively created since there are no points, lines or polygons returned from
the PostGIS query at that zoom level i.e. to all intents and purposes, a valid
map is returned except that there's noting in it. It's these particular zoom
levels where I am trying to display the "no coverage' message. I had thought
that it may be possible to create a permanent layer that's always there under
all the layers and is effectively overwritten by any drawn layers above except
where there's no data. I'm thinking now that this may not be possible.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Donald