Hello,

        I've been using Mapserver to (among many other things) classify rasters
for years.  I would output GeoTIFFs in 8-bit, paletted mode using a custom
output format definition, which I defined as follows:

 OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME "GTiff2"
    MIMETYPE "image/tiff"
    DRIVER "GDAL/GTiff"
    EXTENSION "tif"
    IMAGEMODE "PC256"
    TRANSPARENT FALSE
  END

        This worked for years with versions of Mapserver ranging from 4.4 up to
5.6.

        Recently, I decided to test an upgrade to 6.4, and I have found that
this no longer works.  The imagemode declaration is ignored and coerced back to
RGB mode, which is unsuitable for our purposes.

        What is the proper way to get Mapserver to output 8-bit palletted
GeoTIFFs using raster classification in 6.4?  Or, is this no longer possible?
I hope not, because I really want to use 6.4 in production, it has some great
new features.
--
Avi Blackmore
Head Programmer/System Administrator