Bobb
Thanks you very much for detailed answer.
I'll have to place the parts of lines in various layers.
There is no other elegant decision as i understood, but I wonder how
"web-map-giants" like GOOGLE or OSM get out of this scrape.
>Vladimir,
>
>I’ve faked this in the past by drawing the same layer many times in one pass
>(inside of the same mapfile), you need at least one complete layer pass, with
>other partial layers for
 the over/under situations.  You can do the partial layer grouping with
attributes on the segments that need to go under or over, and this is a manual
process for the most part, but it’s a real pain to keep that up to date over
time (I’m talking over years)
 .  I could probably find a programmer that thought of this as a challenge, but
you still need a human to decide what is over something else as a last QA.

>The much harder task is defining which layers (partial segments are over/under
>other layers..  You need to remove some line segments form at least one of the
>layers in order to make
 things display correctly.  Sometimes a layer is over, sometime it’s under.  I
actually have two instances in my mapping system, where I have three different
bridges stacked on top of each other, two of them a roadways, with the odd one
in between them.  The
 other has a Railway bridge over a roadway bridge crossing.