Hi Jukka - I've tried testing your other suggestion:

OK - I've tried using the OGR CONNECTIONTYPE - it no longer generates an
error message, but comes back with a null result set.

Checking the logs reveals that the error is now apparently being pushed
further back up the stack - eg the Postgres logs are clear (strangely) but
the MapServer debug log reports an error as follows:

I guess effectively the same error as before - there's no quoting in the
string literal (not sure why the Postgres log shouldn't still report this
error...?)

Testing the OGR config with WFS operator "PropertyIsLike", works (as did the
PostGIS driver.)  I think I'll use this method for the moment as it will
work with our production system.

Thanks again!

Steve - good to know that v7 works.