From: mapserver-users-boun...@lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:mapserver-users-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Basques, Bob
(CI-StPaul)
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 4:10 PM
To: mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [mapserver-users] Background transparency vs feature (polygon)
transparency.

All,

So I used to be able (MS6.1 and older?) to just define a color and then set
transparency to ON, and that color would be transparent.  It didn't matter if
it was the background or a feature that was drawn in that color, it just turned
transparent.

I have a slightly different use case than most users as.  I want to maintain a
background color for the image, but filter out polygons (parcels) to be
transparent in color (not opaque) as an overlay.  This is to represent all
Public right-of-way areas, or rather, areas that are NOT parcels.

I've been trying for a couple of days now on and off to make the new methods
replicate this capability, to little effect.  All the new tools assume a
transparency is going to be applied across the whole image background.  I need
to be able to only poke holes in the background where there is a parcel polygon.

Is there a way to make this work like in the good old days (I mean good old
versions ??  :c) of Mapsever??

One suggestion I did find that would likely work, was the use a mask, but then
I need a larger bounding area to contain the mask (Is there a way of defining
an edgeless mask??).  Is this the track I should be persuing?  I could use our
City Boundary for this as a possible solution.  Also, what's all the stuff
about a COMPOSITE block, looks like this is the future of masking type
operations in the future.

Thanks

Bobb