I have seen examples where for the purpose of overlay operations, someone chops
up their large polys into smaller ones, each with an attribute that contains
the id for the large poly.  I don’t know if that would fit your use case.

David.

From: mapserver-users [mailto:mapserver-users-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] On
Behalf Of Ben Madin
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 1:23 AM
To: Lydon Chandra
Cc: mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] Shapefile spatial index challenge

G’day Lydon,

I feel your pain, but there is little benefit to creating more quadrants. The
idea (as I understand it - could be wrong) is to be able to use a (fast)
bounding box to find the polygons to test, rather than having to test against
every polygon using more complex algorithms.

I suppose you could consider that if you want to find out if a point is in one
or more of your polygons, the benefit of having more index squares. You only
have 8 polygons (I presume) so this should limit you in most cases to only
having to compare your ‘point’ with only a couple of polygons using the more
complex algorithms.

hth

cheers

Ben

On 2015-10-08, at 21:31 , Lydon Chandra
<lydon_chan...@technologyonecorp.com<mailto:lydon_chan...@technologyonecorp.com>>
 wrote:

Hi List,

How can we generate more quadrants for the spatial index for the Australia
polygon below ?

Using MapServer shptree, even forcing it to go to 50 level deep, the spatial
index does not have more quadrants.

More data and details at:
http://www.evernote.com/l/AhrYASBGtqVOkJn0BLqZkceADvOsA_UBfvY/

<image.png>

Kind Regards,
Don

Ben Madin

t : +61 8 6102 5535
m : +61 448 887 220
e : b...@ausvet.com.au<mailto:b...@ausvet.com.au>

AusVet Animal Health Services

18/27 Market Street, Fremantle
Western Australia
AusVet's website:  http://www.ausvet.com.au        Find our office:
http://w3w.co/leader.code.frozen

information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it
and notify the sender. The contents of this email are the opinion of the writer
only and are not endorsed by AusVet Animal Health Services unless expressly
stated otherwise. Although AusVet uses virus scanning software we do not accept
liability for viruses or similar in any attachments. Thanks for reading. The
average disclaimer at the bottom of an email is probably never read but
contributes substantially to increasing the size of packet being sent through
the internet and ultimately congestion.