You're probably better off with a view or querying against a stored
procedure. There are a few advantages:
1. With a view you can create multiple arbitrary views.
2. It keeps the syntax of the mapfile cleaner.
3. A view is easy to change to a materialized view in Oracle.  That has a
pile of performance benefits.
4. A stored procedure can be used to normalize the data better between
Oracle and mapserver.