Thanks very much for your reply.  I actually worked #1 out - I had the wrong units set in the grid.

I'm only using the style in the .map file, and haven't set min and max scale at this point.  Linecolor and width are (I think) sufficient, since it's just drawing a grid.

I've tried various combinations of TRANSPARENT TRUE, IMAGECOLOR "#FFFFFF" and IMAGECOLOR #000000" in the mapfile, and turning transparent on and off in the mapcache file, and I get either white or black backgrounds in the cached tiles.  The mapserver tiles look fine in all cases.

Cheers,
Bob