DEFAULT means the layer will always be displayed like a background layer, but it is dependent on MIN/MAXSCALEDENOM ON means that if it is requested via the LAYERS=... that it can be displayed again dependent on MIN/MAXSCALEDENOM OFF means it will be ignored by the mapserver CGI even if its in the LAYERS list.

OFF is useful for things like mapscript where you can define layers and toggle them on in mapscript.

-Steve W