Thanks for the suggestion, Scott.  I think the seeder is optional, right?

Anyway, I ended up figuring out that my <source> was wrong in a couple of
ways in mapcache.xml.  I misunderstood the
<getmap>  parameters.  Now I have this:

   <source name="faa" type="wms">
         <getmap>
         <params>
            <FORMAT>image/png</FORMAT>
            <LAYERS>FAA_Sectional_Charts</LAYERS>
            <SRS>EPSG:3857</SRS>
         </params>
      </getmap>
      <http>
         <url>http://localhost:8080/wms</url>
      </http>
   </source>

I wrote a tiny little leaflet test and, after making every possible
mistake, finally
got it all to work so I'm all set. Thanks,

carl