Hi,

I think OPACITY should still work at the STYLE level:
https://mapserver.org/mapfile/style.html#mapfile-style-opacity
If you are using WMS then you could setup different styles with different
OPACITY values, and then use named styles to select the appropriate style (with
the STYLES= added to the WMS request).

Seth

--
web:https://geographika.net