Hello!,
Continuing in my series of emails about engine condition pushdown... I wonder
if it is possible to push down aggregation functions such as SUM(), MIN(),
MAX() or AVG() to the storage engine. Currently, and as far as I can see (I may
be wrong here), it is not possible. However, this is something that can be
beneficial if the storage engine can perform some of these basic computations
itself, like suming over a whole column and returning just the result. The
storage engine can even be smart enough to use some hardware advantages like
accelerators or computational storage.

If you guys think this is indeed possible without drastic code changes, it
would be amazing to be pointed at where this is. At first, I would only push
down functions if they operate over just one column of the same table. Things
can be made more complicated in the future, of course.

Thanks a lot!,
Eduardo.