The only time I've ever seen such endeavors succeed is when there's some
sort of editorial schedule in place.  Mapping out what you want to see
published over a certain period of time (say 2-3 months) makes it a lot
easier to poke people to step up and write something.

The existence of an editorial schedule doesn't guarantee success.  But
the lack of a schedule seems (from my experience) to guarantee failure.

Bryen