> On 03 Sep 2016, at 15:03, Jan Lehnardt <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hey everybody,
>
> I’ve started a modest website update for the upcoming 2.0 release:
>
> - new logo
> - removed textured linen background, moved to flat grey
> - new top-level marketing slogans (wip)
> - new intro texts (wip)
> - new 2.0 download section (final links TBD)
>  - I kept the 1.6.1/1.7.0 section, because people will want to be
>    able to keep downloading that
> - improved load time by serving JIRA “Submit a Bug” JavaScript include
>  from the same host as opposed to live from JIRA which tends to take
>  a few seconds. This might need updating on JIRA updates, but these
>  are rare.
> - improved “small screen” menu drop-down
>

>    Preview here: http://jan.prima.de/couchdb-2.0/
>
>    Branch here: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-www/tree/2.0
>

> TODO (needs your help):
>
> - I don’t know my way around @2x images in web design and I think the new
> logo needs some treatment, would appreciate any designer here taking a lead
> on this. Feel free to just commit on that branch.
>
> - finalise marketing slogans and description updates. Bikeshed away (within
> reason, the main direction has been decided upon a while ago).
>
> - I’d like to add a few pointers to different CouchDB use-case scenarios that
> highlight the awesomeness of our replication. I think the easiest of these is
> a short blog post series that then can be linked to from the main website (as
> opposed to introduce more sections into the single-page, or changing from
> single- to multi-page). My thinking here is that we want to cover the
> following scenarios at least:
>
>  1. 3+ node CouchDB cluster, replication for inter-node updates
>
>  2. 3+ cloud locations, a cluster in each, for geo-distribution (closer to
> users, and fault tolerance)
>
>  3. cloud location + 1000s+ of mobile / web clients  (w/ PouchDB and
> Couchbase Lite), highlight Offline First (offlinefirst.org) strength
>
>  4. distributed office locations (think London, New York, Tokio), all
> end-users with low-latency connections to CouchDB, all data syncing in the
> background, easy to open new offices, etc.
>
>  5. eHealth Africa Ebola Response. Essentially 3. but more concrete, with
> focus on regions with challenging network infrastructure c.f.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sLjWlWvCsc&spfreload=10

I’ve started to write outlines for all of these to make it easier to pick them
up.

I’m volunteering for 5. and I think 1. is best taken by someone from Cloudant
*hint hint* ;)

Also, don’t forget, sweet, exclusive mugs for you:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cp_Vs9LVYAESJMc.jpg

1. 3+ node CouchDB cluster, replication for inter-node updates

- How CouchDB 2.0 uses replication to keep all nodes in a cluster up to date.

 2. 3+ cloud locations, a cluster in each, for geo-distribution (closer to
users, and fault tolerance)
 - low-latency / close-to-the-user global geo location
 - high-availability failover for potential disasters in one or more
availability zones, or across different hosting- or cloud-providers.

 3. cloud location + 1000s+ of mobile / web clients  (w/ PouchDB and Couchbase
Lite), highlight Offline First (offlinefirst.org) strength
 - offline first web- or native app with PouchDB or Couchbase Lite
 - database per user, replication for low-latency on-device data access
 - fast user-experience (c.f. Google/Amazon studies about latency killing
user-engagement and sales)

 4. distributed office locations (think London, New York, Tokyo), all end-users
with low-latency connections to CouchDB, all data syncing in the background,
easy to open new offices, etc.

 - company with three offices in London, New York, Tokyo
 - e.g. a CRM software that runs locally in every office, so employees have
low-latency, high-bandwidth access, and only have to rely on the office LAN,
but not the WAN.
 - eventually, all data will be in all locations, but any WAN slowness or
interruption don’t stop any one employee from doing their job.
         - Could also be a code hosting platform, e.g. poking fun at GitHub
outages in the face of using a DVCS as the core.

 5. eHealth Africa Ebola Response. Essentially 3. but more concrete, with focus
on regions with challenging network infrastructure c.f.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sLjWlWvCsc&spfreload=10

 - Ebola response:
         - next to no infrastructure (power and network, no 3G, barely EDGE
etc.)
         - daily changing requirements from different countries, sometimes
contradicting
         - real human impact
         - could only be made to work with CouchDB sync and a PouchDB-based
mobile web app.