On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 08:23 +0200, Charles-H. Schulz wrote: > Florian, > > Could we please take out the "ODF plugfest" mention and replace it by ODF > Track? It seems that IBM is vehemently refusing to allow the official ODF > Plugfest to occur at the LibreOffice Conference . > We of course would not want to embarrass these gentlemen. > > Thanks, > Charles.
Hello Charles, et al Well that did not sound very good at all and I was rather distressed by the statement of facts there. I had the opportunity to ask about this in a different public forum, but too individuals I assumed directly involved. I did so, let me tell you why. I think this is very important, this plugfest, at the conference - for one thing I believe it is the type of activity core to the idea of doing things for the common good. Beyond that however, beyond just the common good, it is also of great good, IMO, to TDF/Libreoffice specifically. Anyway - so here is the text of an email I sent about this: "What is this I hear that TDF is being denied the use of the name, ODF Plugfest. The plan was to host such an event at our annual conference but apparently folks (hell IBM) is blocking it...so what's up with that - what happened to openness as in Open standard, non encumbered by.... and all that BS?" I hope that is a reasonable paraphrase of what Charles said above. And here two responses. Roberto Galopinni said: "We have a conf call planned for this Thursday, I don't think we have any blocker. The only issue I've been reading about is all about the fact that part of the discussion about the organization has not been held on the usual channels. As a result some of us were not aware of the fact the next ODF-Plugfest was going to be held concurrently with LO event, so when the news come out it was a kind of surprise. So said, we're on track to start working on making it happen. Roberto" Rob Weir responded with a lengthier email, mostly dealing with process and I'll quote only a portion. ".... 4) No one (to my knowledge) from IBM has opposed or even given an opinion on TDF hosting a Plugfest. .... -Rob" There was also included the comment that the mailing list: https://open.nlnet.nl/mailman/listinfo/plugtest-organisers is where requests/information about ODF Plugfests needs to go through. So I just want to emphasis how important I think it is for TDF to do this, that I'm happy that it appears doable and want to help if I can - is there any grunt kind of task that would be needed that I could perform to help make this happen. Thanks, //drew <snip> -- Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [email protected] Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/ Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/marketing/ All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
