Harland Harrison wrote:

BH> Grammatically, the second sentence as written in the 2004 Platform
appears to call for the legalization of child  prostitution. <BH

HH> No, Brian, that sentence has nothing to do with prostitution, and never
did. <HH

I note that you did not assert the negation of my claim above.

HH> Even without "Therefore", a sentence remains part of its paragraph.
That paragraph calls for medical
care,  information,  etc. for minors.  <HH

The paragraph's only mention of minors is in the sentence in question. You
don't deny that the absence of "therefore" decreases the contextual
connection with what preceded it.

It's not unprecedented for a plank to make a sweeping assertion that is
wider than what the scope of the plank would be without the assertion in
question.  For example, the 2004 "Women's Rights and Abortion" plank has a
sentence that expands the scope by stating a principle that include men's
rights: "We hold that individual rights should not be denied or abridged on
the basis of sex." 

HH> Someone might criticize the wording,  but you already dismissed Howard
Pearce's suggestion that it was only a problem in wording:  "If it's merely
bad wording, it managed not to get fixed in any Platform from 2004 all the
way back to at least 1990.  Nothing in the context of these platforms
rescues this wording;" <HH

When I scanned the platforms before 2004 for the presence of this
problematic phrase about "goods, services or information regarding human
sexuality", I didn't notice that the sentence had a prepended "therefore" in
the earlier platforms.  The "therefore" goes a fair way toward rescuing the
language in the 1990-2002 platforms, but the problem remained in the 2004
platform where I first noticed it.

It turns out the "therefore" removal was part of a general purge of most
therefore's as the planks got re-arranged into the Atlanta format.  However,
it's not like there isn't precedent for the LP Platform to push the envelope
in the area of treating children as adults.  Introduced in 1978, the
Children's Rights plank was notorious before it was finally removed in the
1996 Platform.  The 1978-1982 version of the plank put "children" in
scare-quotes when it said: "We believe that 'children' are human beings and,
as such, have the same rights as any other human beings. Any reference in
this Platform to the rights of human beings includes children."  Even until
the 1994 platform, the plank went on to call children an "artificially
defined sub-category of human  beings".  Indeed, the 1990-1994 platforms
categorically advocated "the repeal  of all laws regarding consensual sexual
relations, including prostitution and  solicitation", and we know very well
that Libertarians mean "all" when they say "all".  Only in the 1996
house-cleaning did the Platform first make an age distinction regarding
sexuality: "We affirm the right of adults to private choice in consensual
sexual activity."   The 1984 platform also had this egregious language: "We
also support the repeal of all laws establishing any category of crimes
applicable to children for which adults would not be similarly answerable".
The sentence continued with "such as curfew, smoking, and alcoholic beverage
laws, and other status offenses", but the problem was still glaring enough
that "answerable" was changed to "vulnerable" by 1990. It wasn't until the
1992 platform that the Children's Rights plank added any acknowledgement
that guardians might have some power over their children.  Since as far back
as 1984, the plank had mentioned "guardians" only as people who provide
"care for their children" and perhaps "administration and protection of
their rights" -- at least until the child exercised her right to either take
over these tasks or seeks better guardians.  Except perhaps for that word
"administration", the plank was exclusively about insisting that children
had either equal rights as adults, or extra rights in terms of switching or
ditching "guardians", and not about admitting children ever had less rights.
In 1992, the plank finally "recognize[d] that children who have not reached
maturity need guardians to secure their rights and to aid in the exercise of
those rights", but even that language is extremely vague about what it's
actually recognizing.

Thus you would be speaking out of ignorance to claim that the LP Platform
does not have a long and checkered history of deliberately skating on thin
ice regarding the topic of whether children should have all the rights of
adults.  Our male prostitute friend Starchild believes that the removal of
the Children's Rights plank from the Platform meant that the LP had
"abandoned some of its principles".  Are you willing to say whether you
agree with him on that score?  (See http://marketliberal.org/LP/Platforms/
for the sources of the quotes above.)

HH> Only somebody who wanted to discredit and destroy the LP would try to
twist that statement about birth control into a supposed endorsement of
child prostitution. <HH

Why do you now suggest better language, if you think that only an
LP-destroyer could have misread it?  Would you oppose re-adoption of the
2004 Platform if it meant living with the disputed language?  I'm of course
trying to immunize the LP from further charges that it advocated legal child
prostitution e.g. at

http://world.std.com/~mhuben/morb.html
http://members.tripod.com/~Kevin_OConnell/child1.htm
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/05/264093.shtml
http://www.l4l.org/library/lp02-pop.html
http://fetter.org/~shackle/rants/licensarians.html
http://thepeopleunited.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4235

Searching Usenet for >"libertarian party" "child prostitution" platform<
yields 44 hits.  If there was anybody who could quote our platform and make
a prima facie case that we advocated legal child prostitution, then our
platform needed fixing. Do you disagree?

I wonder if your innuendo above is meant to suggest that a reasonable person
could infer from what I've written on this topic that I want to "destroy the
LP".   We'll probably never know, since I suspect you have neither the
"spine" to say I so want, nor the basic decency to say you don't think I so
want.  Instead, we'll probably just get more innuendo from you, like your
ironic recent claim that I "launched an attack on [your] character on a
county party discussion list" when I had been biting my
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marketliberal/message/965> tongue for an
entire year there about how your earlier indefensible and undefended
churlish behavior cost that county an officer.

Oh, and the rest of your comment on LPplatform-discuss -- "because of what I
wrote here" -- was demonstrably contrary to fact, as I've so often shown
about your statements. When I cross-posted
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marketliberal/message/1722>  to LPSM-discuss,
it was from cal-libs, not LPplatform-discuss, because it was on cal-libs
that you exclaimed I made a "personal attack" on you while I was DEFENDING
you against Art Tuma's call that you specifically be opposed in any internal
or external election because of your policy positions -- even though in the
past you invoked my philosophical positions to oppose my LP candidacy over
your county vice-chair signature and even refused to sign my candidacy
petition. I'd ask if you have no shame, but the answer to that question is
obvious. You at least were cagey -- or another adjective that starts with
'c' -- enough not to dare mention my name in your hit-and-run deceptive
innuendo on LPplatform-discuss, since you knew that doing so would cause me
to surface the above facts on that forum.  Perhaps you're finally learning
not to throw such rocks my way from inside your glass house.

Reply via email to