FYI:  the U.S. Navy yesterday issued itself a 2-year exemption from the
U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) for its training with
mid-frequency sonar.

The exemption covers all of the Navy's sonar training on its ranges and
operations areas and all of its major exercises, which take place in
various sites around the globe.  It follows a decision from the
California Coastal Commission a few weeks ago, under a different law, to
require additional mitigation when the Navy uses sonar off the
California coast.

Please contact me if you'd like a copy of the Navy's exemption or the
Coastal Commission's decision.

Best,

Michael

Michael Jasny

Senior Policy Analyst

Natural Resources Defense Council

4479 W. 5th Avenue

Vancouver, BC  V6R1S4

tel. 604-736-9386

fax 310-434-2399

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law as
attorney-client and work-product confidential or otherwise confidential
communications. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this communication or other use of a transmission received
in error is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, immediately notify me at the above telephone number.