The "Ecological Modeling for Marine Mammalogists" workshop will follow
on the very successful 2005 workshop "Application of GIS and
Spatial-Temporal Modeling for Marine Mammal Science and Management," and
will represent the fifth Biennial workshop devoted to modeling.  There
is tremendous interest in applying statistical modeling techniques to
the quantitative assessment of marine mammal distribution and habitat
use, and our workshop seeks to explore both traditional and the latest
methodologies.  Our goal is to bring together practitioners that can
share their experience with various approaches to ecological modeling by
addressing topics ranging from collecting data, selecting the
appropriate model, evaluating the model's results, and applying those
results in a management scenario.  The workshop format will consist of
formal presentations followed by extended discussions during which
particular methodologies can be fully explored by all participants.  In
2005, we introduced the Project Forum wherein students and less
experienced researchers presented their projects and discussed the
statistical challenges they are facing with an expert panel.  We plan to
bring this useful forum back in 2009 so that participants of all skill
levels can benefit from the workshop.  As space is limited, please
register......

CALL FOR PROJECT FORUM POSTERS
We are accepting abstracts (Max 300 words) for posters outlining
research that addresses applications of statistical tools and modeling
approaches for marine mammals.  These posters will be used in a session,
as described above, where other researchers, including the workshop
organizers can supply feedback or advice.  We also welcome posters that
present projects that discuss innovative tool and/or model development.

PLEASE NOTE:
If you have a spatial/GIS/modeling-related poster in the regular
conference that is pertinent to this workshop you can also present it at
this workshop.

Please send abstracts by Sept. 14 to Ellen Hines at ehi...@sfsu.edu
--
Ellen Hines, PhD