Cape Ann Whale Watch is accepting applications for its Field Research and
Environmental Education Internship. Based in Gloucester, MA and partnered
with Planet Whale, our whale watch boat takes between 150 and 250
passengers a day on whale watches in and around the Stellwagen Bank
National Marine Sanctuary. We work to educate passengers about marine life
and the oceans to foster a sense of importance and personal responsibility
in doing a part to contribute to the wellbeing and conservation of the
environment. This internship will allow you to gain hands-on experience in
research, educational techniques, and the general workings of being on a
whale watch boat.

Interns are the core of the education program at Cape Ann Whale Watch. They
work collaboratively with the naturalist to help accomplish our goal of
educating people about whales and fostering a stronger appreciation and
respect for whales and the ocean environment. Educators circulate the boat
with hands-on teaching tools to educate the public about whales and their
environment. Once the actual whale watching begins, the naturalist provides
educational interpretive commentary while the interns collect data on whale
behavior and identification for our research.

Interns work 1-2 whale watch trips per day, four to five days per week. In
addition to using teaching tools (such as a sample of whale baleen or a 3-D
model of Stellwagen Bank), interns are available to answer passengers’
questions on a wide variety of topics- everything from whale behavior to
ocean conservation. Interns are also expected to help with the general
functioning of the whale watch vessel and provide a harbor tour to
passengers at the beginning of each trip. In addition to responsibilities
during whale watch trips, interns are expected to attend and participate in
weekly meetings, which cover topics of interest and relevance, and also
provide opportunity for reflection and development among the group of
educators. Finally, interns are expected to complete a project of their
choice- past examples include creating a new teaching tool or developing a
slide show for passengers to view while on board.

Past interns have received degrees in biology, psychology, education,
French, history, philosophy, etc. *You don’t need to be a biology major to
apply, and prior experience is not required- training is provided on the
job!* We are looking for individuals who will make the most of the amazing
opportunities this internship provides. This internship is geared for
college students and recent college graduates, however, anyone who is
interested in helping Cape Ann Whale Watch and the educators/researchers or
in learning about whales is encouraged to apply. We are looking for
individuals who are passionate about whales and the ocean environment.
Applicants for this position should feel comfortable with public speaking,
teaching in small groups, and working with the general public. The
application deadline is March 1, *however early application is strongly
encouraged.* Applicants will be notified by the end of March. The whale
watching season begins in early May and it runs through October. During
this time, we ask that people can devote at least 10 weeks to the
internship.

This is an unpaid internship, and housing is not provided, but we will work
with all the interns to find something suitable. It is your responsibility
to arrange for college credit if you choose to do so.

If you are interested please send a resume, cover letter, two written
letters of recommendation, and an unofficial transcript to:

               lauralill...@gmail.com

                            or

Cape Ann Whale Watch

PO BOX 345

Gloucester, Ma 01930

Attn: Laura

For any further questions, contact Laura at the email address provided.

--
Laura Lilly
(978) 302-5802