RESEARCH ASSISTANT OPPORTUNITIES FOR ELDING WHALE WATCHING REYKJAVIK,
ICELAND SUMMER 2016.

Elding Whale Watching Reykjavik is a family owned company and has been
running since 2000. We are the original operator in Reykjavik, strict in
abiding by IceWhale’s (www.icewhale.is) guidelines in vessel behaviour
around wildlife and work with IFAW to stop Whaling in Iceland. We are also
well known for our environmental policy. Elding also provides a platform
for marine biologists to study the cetaceans we encounter to help build our
knowledge and understanding. Elding also has ties with Whale Safari (
www.whalesafari.is), a RIB whale watching company and developing a new
whale watching company in Akureyri (North Iceland) this up and coming
summer. For further information please visit our website at www.elding.is.

Elding Whale Watching Reykjavik is looking for four voluntary research
assistants with a passport from an EEA country (https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea) to
assist for 5 months (1st May to the 31st September 2015). Research is
conducted in co-operation with the University of Iceland’s research center
in Húsavik and it comprises of photo identification and behavioral studies
mainly of minke whales and white-beaked dolphins but occasionally also
humpback whales, orca, fin whales and basking sharks.

Research will be conducted on the whale watching tours (3 hours, 3 times a
day). There will always be two assistants on board taking data and one on
land processing, cropping, ID matching and uploading onto an online
database. Each researcher will have four days at sea and two days on land
processing. Working day averages at about 12-14 hours for those at sea and
6-8 hours those on land.  You will have every Sunday off work as well as
bad weather days when tours are cancelled.

We are looking for assistant that;

·      Have a strong interest and education in marine science specifically
cetaceans and marine birds.

·      Good spotting skills

·      Have experience on boats preferably above 17m and not acceptable to
seasickness easily.

·      Be able to work calmly and politely under pressure and sometimes in
stressful situations.

·      Must be a quick learner, adaptive, have a very good sense of humour,
hard working, outgoing and generally a very positive person.

·      Willingness to work long hours outdoors in sometimes unfavorable
weathers.

·      A Team Player

·      Physically fit - there may be some heavy lifting. i.e. moving cases
of drinks or working with heavy ropes, being on your feet for most the day.

·      Don’t mind cleaning – lots of cleaning needs to be done on a daily
basis, between and after tours and yes it also means cleaning up vomit and
toilets.

·      Bar work – Each vessel has a bar where light refreshments are sold

·      Have their own equipment and good at using them e.g. DSLR camera and
computer.

Assistants will be responsible for their own travel costs, travel insurance
and personal expenses but accommodation is provided throughout the working
period as well as an afternoon hot meal.

Further information on living and working in Iceland can be found at
http://www.mcc.is/media/frettir/Living_and_working_in_Iceland.pdf and
www.iceland.is

*Accommodation*

You will be living on an old converted capelin fishing boat that now acts
as a permanently stationed gift shop/ waiting area/ small museum for our
passengers in the heart of Iceland’s capital city, Reykjavik. You will get
your own small bedroom but the living area, shower room, kitchen and
toilet, with all essentials, will be communal with the other researchers
and maybe the occasional crewmember. All facilities are provided including
wifi, fridge, cooker, bedding, towels etc.

Elding prides itself on teamwork, no job is too small or too big for any of
our staff members. We work together to make sure everything is finished for
the following day. So being a team player is also very important.

*How to apply: *

Please email your C.V. and introduction of yourself in English specifying
any relevant experience and languages you have, also why you would be good
for the job with the contact details of one reference to Megan (
me...@elding.is).

Deadline for applications is the 15th February and those that are
successful for interview will be contacted no later than the 29th of
February 2016.

--
Kind Regards

Megan Whittaker
Head Naturalist and Research co-ordinator
Elding Adventures at Sea
Ægisgarður 5, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
Tel. (+354) 519 5090
eld...@elding.is
www.elding.is

Add us on Facebook Elding Whale Watching Reykjavík
<http://www.facebook.com/EldingWhaleWatching>
Follow us on Twitter: EldingWhale <https://twitter.com/eldingwhale>
Check our Videos on YouTube: Reykjavik Activitie
<http://www.youtube.com/reykjavikactivities>s

Please think of the environment; please don't print this e-mail unless you
really need to.