Dear MARMAM colleagues,
My coauthors and I are pleased to announce the publication of the following
paper in “Marine Ecology Progress Series":

Effect of construction-related activities and vessel traffic on marine mammals
Ross M. Culloch, Pia Anderwald, Anja Brandecker, Damien Haberlin, Barry
McGovern, Róisín Pinfield, Fleur Visser, Mark Jessopp, Michelle Cronin
ABSTRACT: During the construction of a gas pipeline from an offshore gas field
in northwest Ire- land, a year-round shore-based marine mammal monitoring
programme was undertaken. Using 6 yr of data, generalised estimating
equations-generalised additive models (GEE-GAMs) were used to investigate if
construction-related activity and vessel traffic influenced the occurrence of
common dolphin, minke whale, harbour porpoise and grey seal within the area
where the pipeline made landfall. Construction-related activity reduced harbour
porpoise and minke whale presence, whilst an increase in vessel numbers
(independent of construction-related activity) reduced common dolphin presence.
All species showed some degree of annual and seasonal variation in occurrence.
For common dolphins and harbour porpoises, we found similar seasonal patterns
to those reported in broader Irish waters, which tentatively suggests that
seasonal patterns persisted irrespective of construction-related activity or
vessel traffic, indicating that any impact might have been only short-term.
Multiple construction-related activities occurred simultaneously in different
areas, and the inter-annual variation may, in part, be an indication of
variation in species’ response to particular activities, their intensity and
their location. However, the precise location of the activities was not
regularly recorded, limiting our ability to investigate the fine-scale
spatio−temporal impact of the diverse range of construction-related activities.
Improved communication and coordination between developers, regulators and
scientists will help ensure that monitoring programmes are effective and
efficient, to better inform our understanding of potential impacts and to
mitigate effectively against them for future developments.

The paper is open access and is available online at:
http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps_oa/m549p231.pdf
<http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps_oa/m549p231.pdf>

Alternatively, if you are unable to download the article please email me for a
pdf: rculloch ‘at’ gmail.com
Best wishes,
Ross

Dr. Ross Culloch
MaREI Centre for Marine and Renewable Energy,
Environmental Research Institute,
University College Cork,
Haulbowline Road,
Ringaskiddy,