Dear Marmam subscribers,

We are pleased to announce the publication of two articles on environmental
niche modelling of cetaceans in the Azores (Central North Atlantic). Both
articles are open access and can be downloaded directly from the respective
journals’ webpages using the DOI links provided below.

1. Tobeña, M.*, Prieto, R.*, Machete, M., and Silva, M.A. (2016). Modeling the
potential distribution and richness of cetaceans in the Azores from fisheries
observer program data. Frontiers in Marine Science 3. doi:
http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2016.00202. * These authors have contributed
equally to this work.

Abstract: Marine spatial planning and ecological research call for
high-resolution species distribution data. However, those data are still not
available for most marine large vertebrates. The dynamic nature of
oceanographic processes and the wide-ranging behavior of many marine
vertebrates create further difficulties, as distribution data must incorporate
both the spatial and temporal dimensions. Cetaceans play an essential role in
structuring and maintaining marine ecosystems and face increasing threats from
human activities. The Azores holds a high diversity of cetaceans but the
information about spatial and temporal patterns of distribution for this marine
megafauna group in the region is still very limited. To tackle this issue, we
created monthly predictive cetacean distribution maps for spring and summer
months, using data collected by the Azores Fisheries Observer Programme between
2004 and 2009. We then combined the individual predictive maps to obtain
species richness maps for the same period. Our results reflect a great
heterogeneity in distribution among species and within species among different
months. This heterogeneity reflects a contrasting influence of oceanographic
processes on the distribution of cetacean species. However, some persistent
areas of increased species richness could also be identified from our results.
We argue that policies aimed at effectively protecting cetaceans and their
habitats must include the principle of dynamic ocean management coupled with
other area-based management such as marine spatial planning.

2. Prieto, R.*, Tobeña, M.*, and Silva, M.A. (2016). Habitat preferences of
baleen whales in a mid-latitude habitat. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical
Studies in Oceanography. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr2.2016.07.015. *
These authors have contributed equally to this work.

Abstract: Understanding the dynamics of baleen whale distribution is essential
to predict how environmental changes can affect their ecology and, in turn,
ecosystem functioning. Recent work showed that mid-latitude habitats along
migratory routes may play an important role on the feeding ecology of baleen
whales. This study aimed to investigate the function of a mid-latitude habitat
for blue (Balaenoptera musculus), fin (Balaenoptera physalus) and sei
(Balaenoptera borealis) whales occurring in sympatry during spring and summer
months and to what extent their environmental niches overlap. We addressed
those questions by developing environmental niche models (ENM) for each species
and then making pairwise comparisons of niche overlap and relative habitat
patch importance among the three species. ENMs were created using sightings
from the Azorean Fisheries Observer Program from May to November, between 2004
and 2009, and a set of 18 predictor environmental variables. We then assessed
monthly (April–July) overlap among ENMs using a modified Hellinger׳s distance
metric (I). Results show that the habitat niches of blue and fin whales are
strongly influenced by primary productivity and sea surface temperature and are
highly dynamic both spatially and temporally due to the oceanography of the
region. Niche overlap analyses show that blue and fin whale environmental
niches are similar and that the suitable habitats for the two species have high
degree of spatial coincidence. These results in combination suggest that this
habitat may function as a mid-latitude feeding ground to both species while
conditions are adequate. The sei whale model, on the other hand, did not
include variables considered to be proxies for prey distribution and little
environmental niche overlap was found between this species and the other two.
We argue that these results suggest that the region holds little importance as
a foraging habitat for the sei whale.

With the very best regards to all,

Rui Prieto

MARE – Marine and Environmental Sciences Centre;

IMAR Centre at the University of the Azores

9901-862 Horta

Portugal

Tel: (351) 292200475

Fax: (351) 292200411