Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are happy to announce the publication of the following
paper in Royal Society Open Science:

Christiansen F, McHugh KA, Bejder L, Siegal EM, Lusseau D, McCabe EB, Lovewell
G,Wells RS. 2016 Food provisioning increases the risk of injury in a long-lived
marine top predator. R. Soc. open sci. 3: 160560. doi: 10.1098/rsos.160560

Abstract:
Food provisioning of wildlife is a major concern for management and
conservation agencies worldwide because it encourages unnatural behaviours in
wild animals and increases each individual's risk for injury and death. Here we
investigate the contributing factors and potential fitness consequences of a
recent increase in the frequency of human interactions with common bottlenose
dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in Sarasota Bay, Florida. A rising proportion of
the local long-term resident dolphin community is becoming conditioned to human
interactions through direct and indirect food provisioning. We investigate
variables that are affecting conditioning and if the presence of human-induced
injuries is higher for conditioned versus unconditioned dolphins. Using the
most comprehensive long-term dataset available for a free-ranging bottlenose
dolphin population (more than 45 years; more than 32 000 dolphin group
sightings; more than 1100 individuals), we found that the association with
already conditioned animals strongly affected the probability of dolphins
becoming conditioned to human interactions, confirming earlier findings that
conditioning is partly a learned behaviour. More importantly, we found that
conditioned dolphins were more likely to be injured by human interactions when
compared with unconditioned animals. This is alarming, as conditioning could
lead to a decrease in survival, which could have population-level consequences.
We did not find a significant relationship between human exposure or natural
prey availability and the probability of dolphins becoming conditioned. This
could be due to low sample size or insufficient spatio-temporal resolution in
the available data. Our findings show that wildlife provisioning may lead to a
decrease in survival, which could ultimately affect population dynamics.

A copy of the paper can be downloaded for free from:

<http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/12/16056>http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/12/160560
[http://d3hu9binmobce5.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/highwire/royopensci/3/12.cover-source.jpg]<http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/12/160560>

Food provisioning increases the risk of injury in a long-lived marine top
predator<http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/12/160560>
[...]

Best regards,

Fredrik Christiansen

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Cetacean Research Unit, School of Veterinary and Life Sciences
Murdoch University, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
+61 417 502 098,
f.christian...@murdoch.edu.au<mailto:f.christian...@murdoch.edu.au>, twitter:
@FChristiansen83
http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=vkA5Y3EAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra