Dear MARMAM readers,

We are glad to annouce a new publication in Journal of Mammalian Evolution:
do Amaral, K.B., Amaral, A. R., Fordyce, R.E., Moreno, I.B. (2016)
Historical Biogeography of Delphininae Dolphins and Related
Taxa (Artiodactyla: Delphinidae). J Mammal Evol. doi:
10.1007/s10914-016-9376-3

Abstract
Delphinine dolphins arose via a recent, rapid radiation, probably within
the last four million years. Although molecular phylogenies are
increasingly well resolved, patterns of
morphology-ecology-geography are hard to link to phylogeny
or to translate into taxonomy. Such problems might be tackled
through understanding the drivers of the delphinine radiation.
Here, we examine delphinine historical biogeography using the
phylogeny of McGowen et al. (Mol Phylogenet Evol 53:891–
906, 2009) as our working hypothesis. We used the Spatial
Analysis of Vicariance method to delimit modern distribution
patterns, including disjunctions involving sister nodes in the
Delphininae. The analysis identified disjunct sister nodes,
allowing some interpretation of Delphininae biogeography.
The Central American Seaway was probably an important
gateway for early delphinids, but the succeeding hard barrier
of the Panama Isthmus had little influence. Southern African
waters form the Atlantic-Indo-Pacific gateway, which is some-
times considered a soft barrier because of the variation in
the Benguela and Agulhas currents, in turn driven by tec-
tonic changes and/or Pleistocene glacial and interglacial
cycles. The latter cycles probably fragmented coastal habi-
tats, allowing allopatric speciation. Geological patterns of
turnover in Southern Ocean diatoms, which link to physical
oceanic change, closely match the main cluster of delphinine
divergences. The Eastern Pacific Barrier, and perhaps the
associated Humboldt Current and equatorial "cold tongue",
affect modern distributions, but cause and effect are poorly
understood. Future research should involve molecular-
morphological phylogenetics for all species, subspecies,
and ecomorphs. Complete distributions must be known
for all taxa to understand how vicariance and dispersal
shaped the distribution of delphinines.

Please, send an email to karinabohrerdoama...@gmail.com to request a full
PDF.

Best regards,