For SMM participants working with PhotoID, genetic samples, sightings data,
and/or tag data:

No researcher can cover the range over which whales operate, we need the tools
to work on oceanic and global scales to conserve marine species over
biologically relevant scales. Flukebook (http://www.flukebook.org) is the first
web platform that engages both the research and citizen science aspects of
cetacean conservation. Flukebook is groundbreaking because it connects
everyone, including the animals, in the same social network for the first time.
It builds living stories, about animals and the people who want to interact
with them, but it also grows useful data streams and provides powerful tools to
the researchers who study them. The Flukebook platform is first and foremost
for professional researchers. It provides researchers with the advanced tools
needed for scientific analysis and enables transboundary and
multi-institutional collaboration without sacrificing interactivity or
approachability for citizen scientists wanting to engage with the species and
its conservation. In Flukebook, researchers have access to data management
tools, A.I.-trained photo-matching computer vision algorithms, a global catalog
of individuals, and easy connectivity to common analytical software for
mark-recapture, genetic, and socio-ecological studies (MARK, WinBugs, Socprog,
GeneAIEx, ARC, GoogleMaps, Genepop among others). At the research level,
secured data sharing is accomplished on a peer-approval basis which allows
users to access tools without the requirement of sharing data; but promotes a
growing inclusiveness and respect for data rights. For citizen scientists,
Flukebook enables participants to receive automatic and comprehensive profile
updates on individuals they have sighted, transforming "data" into learning and
encouraging repeat participation and engagement in conservation initiatives in
those regions.

The half-day workshop to be hosted from 8:00am to 12:00pm on October 28th will
enable participants to learn more about this growing collaborative community,
the functionality of the research tools, how to upload and export their data,
examine and test the automated matching algorithms, learn more about how data
is secured and shared online, and the future developments of the platform.

What we are hoping to do is build a community of researchers, commercial
naturalists, and public enthusiasts who are committed to these species and
collaborating for marine conservation. We are looking for people like you to
help us shape the future of Flukebook and develop the platform further into a
tool that is practical, accessible, and useful for all levels.

We hope to see you there!

Jason Holmberg
Digital Architect and Director at WildMe  (http://www.wildme.org)

Shane Gero