Hello,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our paper on
identifying long-term social avoidances.

Strickland K., Levengood A., Foroughirad V., Mann J., Krzyszczyk E., Frère C.H.
2017. A framework for the identification of long-term social avoidance in
longitudinal datasets. Royal Society Open Science, 4: 170641.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rsos.170641

Abstract:

Animal sociality is of significant interest to evolutionary and behavioural
ecologists, with efforts focused on the patterns, causes and fitness outcomes
of social preference. However, individual social patterns are the consequence
of both attraction to (preference for) and avoidance of conspecifics. Despite
this, social avoidance has received far less attention than social preference.
Here, we detail the necessary steps to generate a spatially explicit, iterative
null model which can be used to identify non-random social avoidance in
longitudinal studies of social animals. We specifically identify and detail
parameters which will influence the validity of the model. To test the
usability of this model, we applied it to two longitudinal studies of social
animals (Eastern water dragons (Intellegama leseurii) and bottlenose dolphins
(Tursiops aduncus)) to identify the presence of social avoidances. Using this
model allowed us to identify the presence of social avoidances in both species.
We hope that the framework presented here inspires interest in addressing this
critical gap in our understanding of animal sociality, in turn allowing for a
more holistic understanding of social interactions, relationships and structure.

Please find the full article here:

<http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/4/8/170641.article-info><http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royopensci/4/8/170641.full.pdf>http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/4/8/170641

Cheers,

Alexis

Alexis Levengood
PhD Candidate