Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our paper in
PNAS:

Song hybridization events during revolutionary song change provide insights
into cultural transmission in humpback whales.
Garland, E. C., Rendell, L., Lamoni, L., Poole, M. M. & Noad, M. J. (2017)
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of
America. 114(30), p. 7822-7829. DOI:10.1073/pnas.1621072114

Abstract:
Cultural processes occur in a wide variety of animal taxa, from insects to
cetaceans. The songs of humpback whales are one of the most striking examples
of the transmission of a cultural trait and social learning in any nonhuman
animal. To understand how songs are learned, we investigate rare cases of song
hybridization, where parts of an existing song are spliced with a new one,
likely before an individual totally adopts the new song. Song unit sequences
were extracted from over 9,300 phrases recorded during two song revolutions
across the South Pacific Ocean, allowing fine-scale analysis of composition and
sequencing. In hybrid songs the current and new songs were spliced together in
two specific ways: (i) singers placed a single hybrid phrase, in which content
from both songs were combined, between the two song types when transitioning
from one to the other, and/or (ii) singers spliced complete themes from the
revolutionary song into the current song. Sequence analysis indicated that both
processes were governed by structural similarity rules. Hybrid phrases or theme
substitutions occurred at points in the songs where both songs contained
“similar sounds arranged in a similar pattern.” Songs appear to be learned as
segments (themes/phrase types), akin to birdsong and human language
acquisition, and these can be combined in predictable ways if the underlying
structural pattern is similar. These snapshots of song change provide insights
into the mechanisms underlying song learning in humpback whales, and
comparative perspectives on the evolution of human language and culture.

The paper is freely available here:
http://www.pnas.org/content/114/30/7822.full.pdf

Kind regards,
Ellen