Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our paper:
Shark bite injuries on three inshore dolphin species in tropical northwestern
Australia.

Felix Smith, Simon, J. Allen, Lars Bejder and Alexander M. Brown. 2017. Marine
Mammal Science, doi: 10.1111/mms.12435.

Abstract: Predation risk has a profound influence on the behavior of marine
mammals, affecting grouping patterns and habitat use. Dolphins frequently bear
evidence of shark bites, which can provide an indirect measure of predation
pressure. Using photo-identification data, we investigated the prevalence of
shark bites on three sympatric species of inshore dolphin, the Australian
snubfin (Orcaella heinsohni), Australian humpback (Sousa sahulensis), and
Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops aduncus), among four study sites in
northwestern Australia. Bite prevalence varied markedly between species, with
72% of snubfin, 46% of humpback, and 18% of bottlenose dolphins exhibiting
evidence of shark bites. Binomial logistic regression confirmed a high
likelihood of bite presence on snubfin dolphins, and at one particular site for
snubfin and bottlenose dolphins. The prevalence of tiger shark (Galeocerdo
cuvier) bites on snubfin dolphins was high, and bites attributed to other
carcharhinid sharks were observed on all species. While acknowledging
methodological differences with other studies, the prevalence of shark bites on
snubfin dolphins is among the highest reported for any dolphins, suggesting
predation risk represents an important but varying influence thereon. This
study provides a baseline for future investigations into the affect of
predation risk on the behavioral ecology of these sympatric species.

The paper may be found here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12435/full
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12435/full> or by emailing
felixsm...@gmail.com <mailto:felixsm...@gmail.com>.