Dear MARMAM community,

October is fast approaching, and with it comes the biennial Society for Marine
Mammalogy (SMM) conference, held this year in Halifax, Nova Scotia! We’re
looking forward to learning about all of the amazing marine mammal research
being conducted around the world. Additionally, over 300 SMM student members
will be presenting at the 2017 conference. However, the costs associated with
conference transportation and accommodation are significant, especially on a
student budget.

In an effort to raise additional student funds, conference organizers, Tonya
and Hilary, as well as members of the conference organizing committee and the
student affairs committee, will collectively run over 50 kilometers in the
Halifax-based, pirate-themed Maritime Race Weekend on September 16, 2017.

If you are able, please help support the development of emerging marine mammal
researchers by sponsoring our runners as they work to raise funds for travel
grants for students presenting at the upcoming conference. Every donation helps!

Spread the word to colleagues and friends, and donate today at:
https://www.gofundme.com/SMM-Students

Thank you!

-The SMM Student Affairs Committee

Questions? Please contact Student Affairs Committee member, Taylor Hersh
(Dalhousie University, taylor.hersh “at” dal.ca).