Dear all,

We are delighted to announce the publication of our paper as a Biodiversity
Viewpoint in Diversity and Distributions.

Title: Temporal Resolutions in Species Distribution Models of Highly Mobile
Marine Animals: Recommendations for Ecologists and Managers.

Authors: Laura Mannocci, Andre M. Boustany, Jason J. Roberts, Daniel M.
Palacios, Daniel C. Dunn, Patrick N. Halpin, Shay Viehman, Jerry Moxley, Jesse
Cleary, Helen Bailey, Steven J. Bograd, Elizabeth A. Becker, Beth Gardner,
Jason R. Hartog, Elliott L.Hazen, Megan C. Ferguson, Karin A. Forney, Brian P.
Kinlan, Matthew J. Oliver, Charles T. Perretti, Vincent Ridoux, Steven L. H.
Teo, Arliss J. Winship.

Abstract: While ecologists have long recognized the influence of spatial
resolution on species distribution models (SDMs), they have given relatively
little attention to the influence of temporal resolution. Considering temporal
resolutions is critical in distribution modelling of highly mobile marine
animals, as they interact with dynamic oceanographic processes that vary at
time-scales from seconds to decades. We guide ecologists in selecting temporal
resolutions that best match ecological questions and ecosystems, and managers
in applying these models. We group the temporal resolutions of environmental
variables used in SDMs into three classes: instantaneous, contemporaneous and
climatological. We posit that animal associations with fine-scale and ephemeral
features are best modelled with instantaneous covariates. Associations with
large scale and persistent oceanographic features are best modelled with
climatological covariates. Associations with mesoscale features are best
modelled with instantaneous or contemporaneous covariates if ephemeral
processes are present or interannual variability occurs, and climatological
covariates if seasonal processes dominate and interannual variability is weak.

This article is the outcome of a workshop that brought together 23
international experts at Duke University in December 2014.

The paper can be downloaded at
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ddi.12609/full

If you do not have full subscription to the journal I'll be happy to email the
paper to you.

All the best,

Laura Mannocci (laura.manno...@duke.edu)
Postdoctoral Associate
Duke University Marine Geospatial Ecology Laboratory
https://mgel.env.duke.edu/people/laura-mannocci/