The Southern Cross University Research Marine Ecology Research Centre is
seeking two Master's students or Honours students to join the Capricorn
Cetaceans Research Project (http://www.capricorncetaceansproject.com the site
will be back available online by the 24-09-2017) to investigate the
applicability of using unnamed aerial vehicles (UAVs) for large scale
assessment of occurrence and abundance of Australian humpback and snubfin
dolphins in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. The first part of the project
will be focused in monitoring behavioural responses of humpback and snubfin
dolphins to UAVs at different altitude. In the second part, we will investigate
the effectiveness of using video recorded from UAVs to detect dolphin' groups
and estimate group size. Finally we will test the applicability of UAVs in
large scale dolphin surveys.
The positions are open for both Australian and international students, more
information on the Master program can be found at
http://scu.edu.au/graduateschool/index.php/23.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply for the Australian Government
Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship
(http://scu.edu.au/graduateschool/index.php/18) or an equivalent scholarship
from the home country. Applications for the RTP scholarships close at the end
of October, 2017 for a 2018 start.

Applicants should send an expression of interest and CV, including the contact
details of two academic referees, to Dr Daniele Cagnazzi
(daniele.cagna...@scu.edu.au) by 3rd October.
Successful candidates will be informed on the 10 of October.
If the positions are not filled a second run of application will considered for
late November.

Daniele Cagnazzi
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of Environment Science and Engineering
SCU Institute for Development, Environment and Sustainability (IDEAS)
Marine Ecology Research Centre
T    02 6620 3486
M  0428 366 838
[cid:image001.png@01D33066.F807BB10]
LISMORE CAMPUS
PO Box 157, Lismore NSW 2480 (Military Road, East Lismore)
www.scu.edu.au
CRICOS Provider: 01241G
SCU respects our environment. Please be green and read from the screen.